- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
Computer science and information technology are incredibly important in the modern global economy. This fact can be seen in jobs numbers: The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that computer science and information technology workers will see a 12% increase in jobs by 2024, which is faster than average for all occupations.
In total, the computer science field is expected to add nearly 490,000 new jobs to the US economy – from approximately 3.9 million jobs to 4.4 million jobs in that time frame. Much of this increase is being driven by the transition to cloud computing, collecting and storing massive amounts of data remoted, and more everyday consumer items becoming connected to the World Wide Web.
Earning a master’s degree in computer science will provide you with the advanced technical skills you need to qualify for many excellent career opportunities in many industries, with good pay, including these:
- Computer and information research scientists: These technical professionals design and invent new approaches to computer technology, and also find new, innovative ways to use current technology. They also must study and solve involved computer and technical problems in business, medicine, insurance, finance and others. This type of technical work can be heavily involved in data mining, robotics and programming.
- Computer and information system managers: These technical computer workers may be called information technology managers. They are responsible for planning, coordinating and directing all computer based activities in a company or organization. They must determine the information technology goals in the firm and must also implement new computer systems to meet these goals. Depending upon your level of experience and the size of the company, this type of workers could be a chief information officer, chief technology officer or an IT director in a company.
- Computer systems analysts: These computer professionals study the current computer and IT systems in a company and design new information system solutions to help the firm to operate in a more efficient and effective manner. Their job is to essentially bring IT and business together by grasping both the needs and limitations of these complex systems.
Why Earn a Master’s in Computer Science?
There is a strong increase in demand for all types of computer and technical professionals, as noted above. Earning an advanced degree in computer science has many advantages in terms of salary and improved career opportunities. Consider these benefits:
- Computer science master’s holders earn higher salaries. All computer science careers offer a good living, but with a master’s degree, you will be able to transition into senior level computer science and related positions with a substantially higher salary than a regular programmer.
- Computer science master’s holders have more job prospects. Professionals with experience and a master’s in this field often will have several job offers in some cities. You may need to move to find the best opportunities, but the high salary and responsibility in senior management positions can make it worth it.
- A master’s in computer science can be applied to many industries. All industry sectors need experienced and educated computer science professionals to address their computer and IT challenges.
- A master’s degree puts you on the cutting edge of computer science and IT. If you attend a quality master’s program, you will be learning cutting edge technology and tools that you can use to take your career to the next level.
There is little question that as technology continues to become more advanced, the demand for computer science professionals will only grow.
Featured Online Computer Science Programs
Quality master’s programs in computer science tend to be highly selective. For example, the admissions criteria for the Master of Science in Computer Science at Georgia Tech is as follows:
- 3 excellent recommendation letters
- Scores from the GRE examination are mandatory. Minimum scores are 153 in verbal, 155 in quantitative, and 3.0 in the analytical section.
- Minimum GPA is 3.0 but most admitted candidates have higher
- Updated resume with details of your computer science experience of at least three years, with more preferred.
- Statement of purpose regarding your future computer science goals
Curriculum and Courses
A quality master’s program in computer science will provide you with the essential foundation in computer science, as well as the applied and in demand technical skills you need today to thrive in a computer science management or leadership role.
For example, the University of Chicago has an excellent Masters Program in Computer Science that will provide you with a highly tech-focused chance to immerse yourself in the university’s culture of inquiry and innovation.
This program allows you to collaborate with motivated, brilliant and highly driven classmates and faculty who work daily to challenge and improve you so that you grow into a computer science leader when you graduate.
This program is very well suited for students who thirst for a career in software engineering, data analysis, and high performance computing.
The coursework is in alignment with the school’s top ranking in higher education establishments in the US. The computer science department is also regarded as one of the top 20 in the world, so you are assured of obtaining the advanced computer science knowledge you need.
Your required classes include:
- Advanced Java Programming
- Concepts of Programming
- iOS Application Development
- Mathematics for Computer Science: Discrete Mathematics
- Natural Language Processing
- Time Series Analysis and Stochastic Processes
- Trading Systems Design
Career Outcomes and Job Titles
With a master’s degree in computer science, you will have outstanding qualifications for these advanced roles:
- Network engineering manager
- Computer specialist
- Information technology manager
- Web developer
- Computer operations manager
- Chief technology officer
- Computer research scientist
- IT director
Job and Salary Outlook
- Computer and Information Systems Managers –This field will see 15% increase in jobs by 2024. This will occur because there will continue to be need for advanced computer management professionals for many years to come. It always is necessary to bolster computer and IT systems as technology advances. Pay in this field is at a median of $131,000 per year.
- Computer Systems Analysts –This field will see an impressive 21% increase in jobs by 2024. As companies are boosting their reliance on IT, analysts need to be hired to both design and install new systems. This is going to create even more jobs in the areas of data processing and hosting. The median salary is $85,000 per year.
- Computer and Information Research Scientists –This profession will grow by 11% by 2024; most of the growth will be as companies are undergoing rapid growth in data collection, which means that there is higher need for advanced data mining services by these scientists. Median pay is $110,000 per year.
Scholarships and Grants
- Microsoft: This world leading company awards tuition scholarships every year to students who are going to pursue either undergraduate or graduate studies in computer science and related fields.
- Generation Google Scholarship: Google offers scholarships to students who are studying computer related degree programs at the undergraduate or graduate level. Scholarships are up to $10,000 each.
- International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology: This is a registered, international association of scholars in computer science and the information sciences.
- Association for Computing Machinery: This is a global, scientific and educational association that represents the international computing community.
Additional Link Resources
- Top 5 Careers in Big Data Analytics
- 15 Best Paying MBA in Technology Careers
- Bridging the Gap in Today’s Skill Lacking Economy
- Demand for Big Data Growing, So Is Demand for Skilled Data Specialists
- Why Choose a Masters in Information Systems
- Why Choose a Masters in Cybersecurity
- Why Get a Masters in Big Data Analytics Degree
- How to Get a Masters in Information Technology