- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
- Babson College: MBAs and Other Business Programs for Working Professionals .
This article provides an overview of the Masters in Christian Ministry degree program, some of the subjects and courses to be taken, and why you may want to consider this degree to further your career. It will also present a high quality online Masters in Christian Ministry program that you may want to enroll in.
What Is a Masters in Christian Ministry?
The Masters in Christian Ministry degree, which is usually a master of arts, is a degree where students are immersed in theological training. It is designed for those who believe they have received a calling from God and wish to spend their lives serving the church. Students will be provided with the spiritual preparation for ministry, and also the intellectual and professional information that are required. This ensures that their journey will be more transformative and fruitful.
This is a highly advanced program, during which participants learn about the various biblical foundations necessary to oversee a Christian ministry. It is particularly suitable for those who are already ministers, pastors, or assistant pastors, working on lay, bi-vocational, part-time, or full-time in a ministry. It enables students to get to know the Word of God, while experiencing spiritual growth and gaining a greater understanding of the best practices and doctrine for ministry. Because of the transformative experience that they underwent, graduates would be able to deliver the same to their followers.
Graduates of a Masters in Christian Ministry are able to grasp the art of gospel ministry. The in-depth coursework shows them how to teach, nurture, and lead a community and the congregation. During the program, students are allowed to partake in field experiences so that they can put the theological concepts and theories into practice in real life situations.
A Masters of Christian Ministry looks at the:
- Foundations of the Old and New Testament
- Interpretation of the Bible
- Ministerial ethics
- Christian doctrine
- Pastoral care foundations and theories
Graduates are ready to take on roles of leadership in modern Christian ministries. They can take on positions as lay elders, deacons, Bible study leaders, administrative pastors, pastoral associates, and pastors, to name but a few. Any role that they will take on will be dedicated to furthering Christian service and ministry. They have been provided strong foundations, skills, and knowledge of evangelism, prayer, leadership, and discipleship, which are all necessary to deliver and effective ministry.
While each school offers its own curriculum, core courses include:
- An Introduction to Theology and Ministry
- Foundations of the Old Testament
- Foundations of the New Testament
- Christian Doctrines
- Biblical Hermeneutics
- Ministerial Ethics
- Pastoral Care in the Context of Ministry
- Communication to Congregations and Communities in 21st Century Ministries
- Practical Theological Concepts
- Organizing and Leading Ministries in Communities and Churches.
Why Earn a Masters in Christian Ministry?
With a Masters in Christian Ministry, graduates are able to apply the foundations of biblical concepts to real life situations. The Christian community becomes edified by these graduates, who have in-depth understanding of ministry and Bible based services. Graduates are respected for their skills and knowledge on how to lead congregations across different generations, as well as various other Christian organizations. They can deliver pastoral care based on the Bible, while also providing teaching and soul care based on the relevant and modern needs of church congregations.
The main reason why people obtain this degree is because they have received a calling from God and want to be able to effectively lead communities and their congregation towards a better spiritual relationship with the Lord. By holding a master’s degree, they also enhance their job security, but mainly, they can enjoy the personal satisfaction of knowing they are leader in their field, and that they are equipped with the skills to make an evangelic difference to the world.
According to a 2016 Payscale.com report, those with a Masters in Christian Ministry who work as a Youth Pastor can expect to earn around $47,979 per year.
Online Option for Masters in Christian Ministry
One highly respected Masters in Christian Ministry that can be completed online is offered by Liberty University. This degree is offered through the Rawlings School of Divinity and is 100% available online. The goal of the program is to meet the increasing needs of churches to attract highly trained and capable ministry leaders. There is a significant shortage of Christian disciples, and Liberty University aims to address this. Graduates are respected for their in-depth understanding of leadership based on Bible teachings, strategies, and principles. Furthermore, they are equipped with the skills and knowledge required to train other disciples within smaller congregations, ensuring that they can have a positive impact on local communities through their churches.
The degree focuses strongly on discipleship ministries. It emphasizes a Biblical foundational leadership. Additionally, the degree prepares graduates for intercultural engagement and communication. Those who undertake to obtain the degree will be studying alongside those studying towards master’s degrees in Divinity, Religion, or Christian Apologetics, which are all offered by Liberty University as well. By combining some of the core courses with this degree, students have the opportunity to network with others from a broad spectrum of Christian doctrines. The degree itself is made up of 36 credit hours, 50% of which can be transferred in certain situations. Because it is offered online, it is highly flexible in nature and people can complete it in the time and pace that takes into account their personal and professional responsibilities.
The core curriculum of the Master of Arts in Christian Ministry offered by Liberty University includes:
- Discipleship Ministries
- Contemporary Evangelism
- Intercultural Communication and Engagement
- Preparation of the Sermon
- Foundations of Expository Teaching and Preaching
- Biblical Foundations of Leadership
- New Testament Orientation
- Old Testament Orientation
- Introduction to Pastoral Counseling
- Research, Writing, and Ministry Preparation
- Systematic Theology
Those who have completed a Masters in Christian Ministry can take on positions such as:
- Christian Educator
- Church Education Administrator
- Discipleship Pastor
- Sunday School Administrator
- Sunday School Teacher
- Community Chaplain
- Preaching Pastor
- Church Administrator
- Small Group Pastor
your career in a variety of areas. You can find employment in churches, schools, nonprofit organizations, and more. You will be able to apply your skills and knowledge to provide effective leadership, while also providing effective ministry to various congregations and communities in a way that is relevant to modern churches.
- Master of Arts (MA), Christian Ministry Degree Average Salary. (2016, Feb. 20). Retrieved from http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Arts_(MA)%2C_Christian_Ministry/Salary
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.liberty.edu/online/masters/christian-ministry/