- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
This article provides an overview of the master of science in sports analytics managements degree program, some of the subjects and courses that the degree covers, and why obtaining this degree may be a wise career move. It also presents an online master of science in sports analytics management program that you may want to consider.
What Is a Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management?
A master of science in sports management is a degree that equips students with the skills and knowledge on management techniques for any type of sport. Additionally, it has a strong focus on business training. During the course of the program, students learn about sports law, leadership, marketing, and business management. Different schools set different admission requirements, although holding a bachelor’s degree and having professional experience in sports is usually needed. The degree being a master of science means that there is a strong focus on the sciences, although some leadership, management, and business skills are required as well.
The curriculum of these types of degrees tends to focus on:
- Sales and promotions in sports, raising money and developing the sport as a whole. Fundraising, profits, and efficient running of a team are included.
- Society and sports, identifying the role of sports in contemporary society. These include cultural factors and ethics that influence participation in sports.
- Sports law, focusing on the industry, sports management, and athletes. This also includes the relationship between athletes and teams, and their agents, including those relating to sports injuries and media scandals.
- Media and sport marketing, analyzing current issues and developing plans to market teams, sponsors, coaches, athletes, and more
- Coaching sports methodology, which shows students how to teach or coach students in their chosen sports, focusing on contemporary trends influencing sports philosophies
Why Earn a Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management?
There are many reasons as to why obtaining a master of science in sports analytics management degree is a good idea, but this is mainly the fact that data and technology now influence every element of the world, including sports management. Hence, there is a huge demand for those who understand not just sports, but also how technologies are implemented within sports. As a graduate of this type of degree, you will be able to measure and analyze the impact of these technologies and how they transform sports as a whole. There are opportunities in areas such as virtual reality, performance data analytics, e-sports gaming, fantasy sports, mobile technology, interactive spectatorship, and social media to name but a few.
Graduates can work as athletic directors, sports team managers, scouts, sports marketing directors, athletic trainers, or coaches. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has reported that coaches and scouts had a median salary of $31,460 per year as of May 2016. However, this is at the bachelor’s degree level. Those who hold a master’s degree are more likely to be in the top 10% of earners, who can enjoy salaries of $71,940 per year or more. Additionally, the BLS has reported that there will be a 6% growth in demand for those with these skills from 2014 to 2024.
Mainly, with this degree, you will be able to have an increased understanding of the administrative, legal, and business aspects of the world of sports, while at the same time encouraging professionals to develop personal coaching philosophies, working with existing athletic training principles.
Online Option for Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management
If you are interested in completing a master of science in sports analytics management, you might want to consider the online option offered by American University. This is a highly acclaimed university, known for its networking opportunities and superior educational rigor. Interestingly, 92.5% of those who graduate go on to study further. The university, meanwhile, has been named:
- 60th Best College for Veterans and 72nd best National University by the 2016 U.S. News and World Report
- Among the 380 Best Overall Colleges, 7th best Green College, and Best Northeastern College by the Princeton Review Best College 2016
This degree program has been designed to enable students to transform their passion for sports into a management position. It is built on what Forbes believes are important elements in sports management, including the opportunity to network in the industry and the ability to develop business plans. The sports industry itself is worth some $500 billion per year, and it is believed that it will continue to grow. It now incorporates social media and new and emerging technologies, and this is changing the way sports organizations have to be managed.
The program offered by American University takes 24 months and is made up of 36 credit hours. It looks at the impact of social media on the sports industry, the emerging trends, how to make ethical and strategic decisions that also impact the community, how to develop communication and leadership skills, how to use analysis and data evaluation tools appropriately, how to create strategies that can improve sports organizations’ outreach, and how to develop and assess targeted business plans.
This degree focuses strongly on the completion of projects across various industries and sectors. It was developed by sports management leaders, who were consulted to determine a relevant and appropriate curriculum. It was constructed to ensure the skillset and knowledge are appropriate to today’s sports industry. The consultation was made with managers from JP Morgan Chase & Co’s Sports and Entertainment Marketing Group, Under Armour, Facebook, Nike, the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), the U.S. Soccer Foundation, ESPN, and the National Basketball Association, and others. The school also offers a number of graduate certificates in this field for those who do not have the opportunity to complete full graduate degree.
Graduates are expected to have the skills and knowledge to pursue a range of professional opportunities in a rapidly growing field, driven by new and emerging trends and technology. Graduates are highly sought-after in businesses, such as sporting goods companies, non-governmental sports organizations, athlete representation, sports firms and agencies, governance agencies, sports teams and leagues, and more.
The core curriculum of the degree includes:
- Strategic Management of Sports Organizations
- Sports Analytics and Social Engagement
- Digital Enterprises in Sports
- Sports Technology and Innovation
- Emerging Technology Trends
- Intercultural Communications for Professionals
- Professional Ethics and Project Leadership
- Client Communications and Professional Consulting
- Evaluation Sciences
- Project Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Analytical Business Writing
Clearly, completing a master of science in sports analytics management is a great way to advance your career. Whether you want to continue to deliver sports education and coaching, or whether you want to move into the leadership, management, and analysis side of sports, this degree will give you all the skills and knowledge that you need. Mainly, you will be seen as an industry leader, something that will give you a wealth of personal satisfaction.
- How to Choose a Doctorate of Sports Psychology + Online Option
- Why Get a Masters in Sports Management?
- 10 Best Paying MBA in Sports Management Careers
- How to Choose a Doctorate of Sports Psychology + Online Option
- Coaches and Scouts. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm
- Online Master of Science in Sports Analytics and Management. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://programs.online.american.edu/mssam/sports-management-masters