- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
- Babson College: MBAs and Other Business Programs for Working Professionals .
This article provides an overview of the masters in engineering technology degree program, some of the subject matters and courses that the degree covers, and why this degree could be beneficial for your career advancement. It also highlights an online masters in engineering technology that you could consider enrolling in.
What Is a Masters in Engineering Technology?
A master’s degree in engineering technology is different from other engineering degrees in a number of ways. The key difference is that engineering technology graduates are technologists/technicians, not engineers. Engineers are the creators of plans, while technicians are the builders of those plans. The master in engineering technology, therefore, is also more about hands-on learning and less about mathematics.
Typically, universities will require students to already hold a bachelor’s degree in order to be accepted to this program. They will also require GRE/GMAT scores and some letters of recommendation. Schools look for people with mechanical and technical aptitudes. In return, they develop graduates that are able to immediately enter the workforce with advanced skills and knowledge in industrial procedures and current design projects.
Schools can set their own curriculum, but most will include the following:
- Statistical Applications and Methods
- Methods of Engineering Analysis
- Industrial Laser Applications
- Computer Network Applications
- Applied Vehicle Dynamics
Why Earn a Masters in Engineering Technology?
The world is increasingly driven by technology. So much so, in fact, that the role of the engineering technologist is still unclear, and what the advancement is exactly. However, the fact that there is a strong demand for these types of professionals is undeniable. In fact, the majority of graduates from a masters in engineering technology find relevant work almost instantly.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has reported that mechanical engineering technicians had a median salary of $54,580 per year as of May 2016. However, this is at the associate’s degree level. Those with a master’s degree are more likely to take on positions of leadership and management and therefore also earn significantly more. In fact, they are more likely to find themselves in the top 10% of earners, who earn at least $82,810 per year. The BLS has also reported that there will be a 2% rise in demand for mechanical engineering technicians from 2014 to 2024, which is slower than average and will translate into some 900 new jobs. However, those with a master’s degree will be in far greater demand because of their abilities to provide leadership.
Online Option for Masters in Engineering Technology
If you are interested in a masters in engineering technology, you may want to consider the MS in Engineering Technology program that is offered online by Purdue University. This program has been proven to produce graduates with applied skills, deep technical knowledge, and experience relevant to engineering technology. Furthermore, the program focuses on communication skills, innovation, critical thinking, and problem solving.
The degree is suitable for those who already hold a BS in engineering or a related field, and who are working professionals at present. The program is highly innovative, enabling students to connect science, technology, and engineering together in a way that is applicable to real-world problems. Students are in high demand because:
- They have knowledge of strategic applications and problem solving skills based on global case studies.
- The degree is relevant to modern trends.
- They have been educated by experienced faculty who are all industry professionals.
- They understand new and modern “smart” manufacturing techniques.
- They have a focus on industrial espionage and cyber security.
Purdue University is highly respected in the country and has received numerous rankings, including:
- #1 in Engineering Technology Enrollment in the U.S. by the American Society of Engineering Education.
- #1 in Female Graduates in Engineering Technology by the American Society of Engineering Education.
- One of America’s Top 25 Public Universities according to the U.S. News & World Report.
- No. 4 University Ranked by Recruiters according to The Wall Street Journal.
The degree requires 30 credit hours for completion, delivered across 12 different courses. Students can complete the MS in Engineering Technology in just two years. The core curriculum includes:
- Technology from a Global Perspective
- Collaborative Leadership and Agile Strategy
- Facilities Engineering Technology
- Energy Sustainability
- Smart Manufacturing and Global Supply Chain Management
- Engineering Technology Capstone Research Writing, Review of Literature and Proposal
- Applied Optimization
- Internet of Things, Cybersecurity, and Industrial Espionage
- Engineering Technology Capstone Research Writing, Research Investigation and Writing
- Engineering Technology Statistics for Industry
- Engineering Technology Capstone Research Writing, Deliverable
- Implementation and Advanced Topics of Six Sigma
Those who complete the degree can take on positions of leadership in engineering technology, greatly advancing their career opportunities. Graduates generally work in government, academia, and industry, focusing on management, entrepreneurial ventures, solution development, and applied research. Some of the roles that graduates have taken on include:
- Facilities Manager
- Facilities Director
- Facilities Engineer
- Facilities Planner
- Sustainability Manager
- Sustainability Director
- Manager, Information Technology Systems
- Information Systems Manager
- Information Systems Security Manager
- IT Audit Manager
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Network Administrator
- Systems Analyst
- Systems Administrator
- Database Administrator
- ERP Systems Administrator
- Systems Automation Engineer- Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Manager
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Continuous Improvement Director
- Logistics Manager
- Logistics Director
- Supply Chain Manager
- Supply Chain Director
- Inventory & Production Control Manager
- Materials Management Manager
- Materials Management Director
- Quality Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Product Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
Of particular interest to many is the fact that graduates from Purdue University have been able to find employment with some of the world’s best known companies, including leading organizations and Fortune 500 companies. This is because they are respected for their advanced skills and knowledge in key modern issues such as smart manufacturing, agile strategy, sustainable energy, and project management. Some of the companies that have employed Purdue University graduates are:
- Cummins Engine
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
- Delco Electronics
- Motorola Solutions
- Eli Lilly
- Northern Telecom
- Tesla Motors
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
- Johnson & Johnson
- Subaru of Indiana Automotive
- Ingersoll Rand
- Epic Corporation
- Hendrickson International
- Nucor Steel
As you can see, obtaining a masters in engineering technology is a fantastic way to significantly advance your career. You will be able to take on a hands on role in building new products relevant to today’s world in a variety of different industries. Mainly, you will take on a position of management and leadership, showing others how to create the best, most relevant products and technological developments in the modern world, with a strong focus on current global issues such as industrial espionage, smart technology, and more. There is a strong demand for people with these types of skills and knowledge, putting you in a unique position of development and turning you into a true role model for others. This is something that you can take a great deal of personal and professional pride in.
- Why Choose a Masters in Cybersecurity + Online No GRE!
- Why Get a Masters in Computer Science + No GRE Options
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineering-technicians.htm
- Online Master of Science in Engineering Technology. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://online.purdue.edu/mset/masters-in-engineering-technology