- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
This article provides a brief explanation of the Master in Computer Engineering, what can be learned during the program, the courses to take, and why this degree can be considered as a great career move. A high quality online Masters in Computer Engineering that you could enroll in is also presented.
What Is a Masters in Computer Engineering?
The Masters in Computer Engineering degree combines both Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. In so doing, graduates are able to develop and create new computer systems. Those who complete the degree are able to greatly increase their understanding of both computer software and hardware, thereby allowing them to develop new components for computers, as well as improving on existing designs. The degree is a very popular one that is offered at universities the world over. This is a testament to the need for those who have advanced skills and knowledge in this particular field. Indeed, graduates can take up positions in highly lucrative and valued careers in areas such as computer software and hardware testing and research, development, and design.
Usually, to be able to take part in a Masters of Computer Engineering degree program, a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline is required. Because of the huge demand for specialists in this field, universities have been developing programs that can be completed full time, part time, online, and through distance learning. These programs usually take two years to finish if the student undertakes the program full time. A thesis project is generally required as part of the graduation requirements. These projects enable students to complete a project either individually or as part of a group, thereby further increasing their advanced technical understanding of their chosen specialization in computer engineering.
Generally, students are encouraged to undertake a specialization when they undertake such a degree program. Common specializations include hardware and computer architecture, computer communications and networks, cyber security, and software. Core courses in the Masters of Computer Engineering include:
- Operating Systems
- Introduction to Computer Networks
- Probability for Electrical and Computer Engineers
- Computer Systems Organization
- Circuit Design
- Design and Analysis of Computer Communication Network
- Broadband Network Architecture
- Computer Systems Architecture
- VLSI System Design
Why Earn a Masters in Computer Engineering?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), those with a Masters in Computer Engineering are classified as Computer Hardware Engineers. They have a median annual salary of $115,080 per year as of May 2016. The BLS has also reported that the most common areas in which graduates are employed include:
- Computer systems design and related services
- Computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing
- Semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing
- Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences
- Government agencies
By completing a Masters in Computer Engineering, a person can greatly advance his or her career. Unfortunately, the BLS has indicated that the expected job growth for computer hardware engineers from 2014 to 2024 is just 3 percent. However, graduates can take on a position of leadership, which provides personal satisfaction that for many is even more important than having a lucrative career.
Online Option for a Masters in Computer Engineering
The College of Engineering and Computer Science of Syracuse University offers an online Masters in Computer Engineering. Graduates are equipped with the necessary skills to create groundbreaking software, hardware, and solutions required for emerging and new systems. Furthermore, graduates are respected for their critical thinking skills, which enable them to solve high challenging issues while at the same time being able to keep their skills and knowledge up to date in this rapidly developing and changing industry.
The faculty members have won numerous awards for their dedication to always be at the heart of new developments in computer software and hardware. They have developed a curriculum that is unique, being based on the intersection of computational complexity, programming language semantics, and formal methods. Furthermore, the curriculum incorporates assured systems and teaches students how to apply various data mining technologies. Lastly, there is a strong focus on artificial intelligence.
As part of the degree program, students are equipped with innovative and forward thinking strategies required to help them solve the problems then encounter in computer engineering. As part of the degree, students usually focus on areas, such as advanced programming, computer architecture, network systems, or security and assurance. Graduates will be equipped with skills that are required to stay up to date with emerging and new technologies. These include:
- Decision making and judgment in relation to the benefits and costs of any actions
- Active learning, which enables them to fully understand the implications of new information in relation to decision making and problem solving
- Operations analysis, enabling them to create the required designs
There is a strong focus on theoretical learning, but the program also ensures that students are challenged through interdisciplinary, inclusive, real world experience. This enables them to develop the practical skills required in the workplace, while at the same time enhancing their problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
The Masters in Computer Engineering degree program usually takes around 15 months to complete and courses include:
- Digital Machine Design
- Computer Aided Design For VLSI And Digital Systems
- Theory of Semiconductor Devices
- Embedded System Design
- VLSI Timing Analysis
- VLSI Testing and Verification
- Computer Graphics
- Principles of Operating Systems
- Computer Security
- Software Engineering
- Design Patterns
- Advanced Windows Programming
- Structured Programming and Formal Methods
- Internet Security
- Internet Programming
- Distributed Objects
- Models and Metrics in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering Studio
- Analytical Data Mining
- Principles of Distributed Access Control
- Software Modeling Analysis
- Principles of Operating Systems
- Mathematical Basis For Computing
- Introduction To Cryptography
- Object Oriented Design
The College of Engineering and Computer Science also enables students to have specializations, such as:
- Hardware systems
- Software systems
- Security and assurance systems
The courses that are classed as elective or as core will vary depending on the chosen specialization.
Graduates of this particular master’s degree can work as:
- Computer hardware engineers
- Systems software developers
- Application software developers
- Cyber security professionals
By earning a Masters in Computer Engineering, you are setting yourself up for an interesting and lucrative career. There is a demand for people with these skills, as computer systems have been developing more quickly than most people can keep up with. With such a degree, you can work in a variety of different fields, including private, public, and nonprofit organizations. Most of all, you will be seen as a leader in your field, which will provide you with a great deal of satisfaction.
- Why Get a Masters in Computer Science + No GRE Options
- Why Get a Masters in Big Data Analytics Degree
- Why Choose a Masters in Cybersecurity + Online No GRE!
- Why Get a Masters in Software Engineering Degree
- Get a Masters in Engineering + 3 No GRE Options
- Computer Hardware Engineers. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://engineeringonline.syr.edu/graduate-programs/computer-engineering/