- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
The Ph.D. in psychology is one of the highest degrees you can earn in this growing field. Earning your Ph.D. in psychology is essential if you want to open a private practice. Also, you will need this degree if you want to teach at the university level.
Government data indicates that now is a good time to work in the field of psychology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that overall employment in psychology will increase by an impressive 22% by 2020, which is faster than average. Employment for clinical counseling and also school psychologists are going to grow nicely in demand. It also is anticipated that the demand for psychologists will increase in the area of health care.
Getting a strong start to your psychology career will hinge upon the quality of your doctoral education. Today there are many strong online, no GRE required, Ph.D. in psychology programs from which you can choose. Some recommended options include the following:
Program Name: Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
Capella University’s online PhD in Psychology, General Psychology degree offers you the flexibility to design a program based on your professional interests. Choose from a wide range of electives to personalize your education to meet your professional goals, and prepare for a career as a university professor, researcher, consultant, or program administrator. Achieve your goals sooner with a program that incorporates dissertation preparation into the coursework early in the program, offering the potential to decrease the time it takes to complete your degree, without compromising quality.
- Capella University
- Capella Tower
- 225 South 6th Street, 9th Floor
- Minneapolis, MN 55402
- (866) 283-7921
Program Name: Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
The online Ph.D. in Psychology from Northcentral University is designed to hone your thinking skills in psychology, to expand your knowledge and to be able to better evaluate social, organizational and global problems. You also will learn modern research methods as you transition from a doctoral student to a scholar.
This no GRE program has a strong emphasis on experiential learning, and you will take what you learn out of the classroom and apply it to various case studies, scenarios and often real life situations.
You will be able to choose from five specializations so that you can tailor your program to match your career goals. These are:
- Gender Diversity
- General Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Mental Health Policy and Practice
You will be required to write and defend your dissertation, which is an original work of research that makes a unique contribution to the field of psychology.
Core classes in this Ph.D program are:
- Foundations for Doctoral Study in Psychology
- Scholarly Writing and Professional Communication in Psychology
- Research Methods
- Statistics I
- Statistics II
- Tests and Measurements
- Quantitative Research Design
- Qualitative Research Design
- Planning Dissertation Research in Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Northcentral University
- 10000 E. University Drive
- Prescott Valley AZ 86314
- (888) 327-2877
Ph.D. in Psychology Salary Information
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median wage for all psychologist was $68,000 in 2010, but the top 10%, mostly with a Ph.D., earned more than $111,000.
There is a high degree of diversity in the field in psychology. You will find that annual salaries vary a great deal. Some of the best-paying jobs with a Ph.D. in psychology include these:
Psychiatrist Salary Outlook & Resources
This is generally regarded as the highest-paying career in the field. It requires you to have your MD and to complete a residency. Psychiatrists earn a median salary of $159,000 per year in doctors’ offices, and approximately $188,000 in outpatient care facilities, according to BLS. Most psychiatrists today provide many types of biological, psychotherapeutic and psychosocial treatments that are tailored to each patient. Overall, the prospects for finding a job in the field are excellent, due to the increasing demand for psychiatrists in both the public and private sectors.
Other psychiatrist salary information: Indeed.com, Salary.com
Organizations for psychiatrists: The American Psychiatric Association
LinkedIn Groups: Institute of Psychiatry, American Association for Technology in Psychiatry
Twitter Peeps: Current Psychiatry, Medscape Psychiatry
Industrial-Organizational Psychologist Salary Outlook & Resources
You will use your knowledge in the field to deal with workplace problems, boosting productivity of workers, the best employees for various jobs, and the development of market research surveys. Some psychologists in this field are able to make more than $100,000 per year with a Ph.D.
Other industrial-organizational psychologist salary information: Indeed.com, Salary.com
Organizations for I/O psychologists: Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
LinkedIn Groups: Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, I/O Careers
Twitter: SPB IO Psychology
Neuropsychologist Salary Outlook & Resources
These psychologists focus on the study of the brain, as well as cognitive science. In this field, you often will do cognitive tests, do brain scans, do assessments of people with brain injuries and study how different drugs affect the nervous system. The median salary in this field is $90,400.
Other neuropsychologist salary information: Indeed.com, Houston Chronicle
Organizations for neuropsychologists: American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
LinkedIn Groups: Neuropsychology Group
Clinical Psychologist Salary Outlook & Resources
You are highly trained in the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental illnesses. This is the largest area of employment in the field, and you can work in hospitals, mental health centers and in private practice. Professionals with their Ph.D. with 10 years of experience can earn $100,000 per year.
Other clinical psychologist salary information:Indeed.com, Payscale.com
Organizations for clinical psychologists: Society of Clinical Psychology
Linkedin Groups: The Clinical Psychology Network
Twitter: Psychology News
Payscale.com shows the following average salaries for various psychology professions:
Indeed.com shows that the average salary for psychologists generally is $54,000, but this includes many professionals who do not have their Ph.D. That site also shows that a professor of psychology can earn $83,000 per year, and an assistant professor will earn $51,000 per year.
The employment breakdown for psychologists in various organizations is:
Related Ph.D. Psychology Jobs
Some other typical psychology job salaries include:
- Developmental psychologist: $56,000
- Experimental psychologist: $56,500
- Forensic psychologist: $59,000
- Cognitive psychologist: $55,000
- Health psychologist: $85,000
- Career counselor: $47,000
The chart below indicates the broad salary range of psychologists and related occupations.
Career Opportunities for Ph.D. in Psychology Graduates
As we mentioned earlier, there are many career directions in which you can go with your Ph.D. in psychology. Much will depend if you are more interested in teaching or conducting research. While many psychologists with their Ph.D. are self-employed, some do work for organizations and universities. We have found some of the most promising employers, or organizations to start your Ph.D. job search, to be the following:
- The American Psychological Association: The AMA is an excellent resource for psychologists, particularly those who are early in their career. The association has many resources and connections throughout the US to many employers and universities. It also sometimes needs employees for its own staff.
- American Counseling Association: This organization is dedicated to the growth and the enhancement of the counseling profession. The ACA also has many resources that can be used by new psychologists to help them find employment with their Ph.D.
- The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology: This is the leading society for industrial and organizational psychologists today. Here you will find many job opportunities and networking possibilities to help you to secure a job with your Ph.D.
- US Navy: The United States Navy employs many psychologists to help our troops deal with the stress of deployment. The Navy also can help to provide funding for your education.