- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
- Babson College: MBAs and Other Business Programs for Working Professionals .
This article describes what a master’s in robotics engineering is, as well as the knowledge and skills that you will learn in this graduate program. It will talk about how this type of advanced engineering degree can be used to further your career. It also discusses a high quality, online degree program in this field that is worth consideration.
What Is a Master’s Robotics Engineering Degree?
A master’s degree in robotics engineering provides students with the knowledge and skills to both develop and construct many types of robotic devices to serve in a range of manufacturing, security and commercial purposes.
This graduate degree program usually takes two years to finish, and focuses heavily upon engineering theories in robotics, mathematics, and the testing of robotic devices for a variety of purposes. A graduate degree in robotics engineering is typically earned by experienced engineering and computer science professionals who have a particular interest and affinity for designing robotic systems.
Students who are enrolled in this master’s program build upon the skills and knowledge learned in previous computer science and engineering backgrounds. They also learn about the environments and contexts in which a variety of robots are created.
Some of the coursework that is found in these master’s programs include:
- Robotics foundations
- Robot dynamics
- Special topics in robotic engineering
- Advanced mathematical algorithms
- Technology and related social implications
- Computer science
- Industrial robotics
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
Robotics engineers also have to be very familiar with microprocessors, logic, and the latest in computer programming so that they can create the right type of robot for every application.
Why Earn a Master’s in Robotics Engineering Degree?
Robotics is developing quickly as technology improves, and has many growing applications in many fields. Robotics engineers with a master’s degree today may work in the following fields:
The general field of mechanical engineering, of which robotics engineering is a part, is one of the broadest and most important fields of engineering. Mechanical engineers are becoming more important in our technological era as the are responsible for building, testing, developing and building a variety of critical mechanical systems, such as tools, machines and engines.
The robotics engineering field in particular within this discipline is in demand with the advances of technology in recent years. Many engineering professionals want to work in this growing area because of the many job opportunities that are appearing.
The occupation of robotics engineer, also referred to in some cases as an automation engineer, allows you to spend most of your time designing planes to construct robots. Some in this occupation also design the processes needed for a robot to run properly. Some in this field also design machines and related devices that actually build the robots.
A robotics engineer is in charge of creating many different sorts of robots that are useful for completing a range of tasks. Before the robot is built, the engineer is responsible for researching and determining precisely what the robots is needed for any the exact movements and motions required to accomplish the goal. Robots are extremely technical and challenging to create; for these reasons, it is common for robotics engineers to work on a limited number of projects throughout their lives.
Common duties of a robotics engineer include:
- Build, configure and test robots of various types
- Design software to control various robotic systems, such as ones that are used to manufacture products
- Design robotic systems that are automated that boost productivity and precision on assembly lines in many industries
- Review and approve estimates of costs to build robotic systems
- Conduct research into the operation, performance and design of robotic systems
The employment prospects for mechanical and robotics engineers are quite bright, with jobs expected to increase by at least 5% by 2024. However, it should be kept in mind that the field of engineering services is going to grow at a much faster rate. More companies than ever before are beginning to contract out this type of work rather than employ such engineers full time within their own organizations.
With a master’s degree in this field and several years of experience, you could be responsible for the oversight of junior robotics engineers. You could work in the design and development of various robotics projects and manage the work of junior engineers who carry out the day to day work.
The median pay for the field of mechanical engineering as of 2016 was $84,190.
Online Degree Option for Masters in Robotics Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute was the very first college in the US to offer a bachelor’s in robotics engineering and now is offering one of the first in a master’s program.
This university’s passion for robotics is strong in everything that it does. The faculty at this college is highly experienced, skilled and enthusiastic, with many strong connections in the robotics engineering industry. All graduates of this program leave highly prepared to deal with the technical, social, ethical and cultural challenges of creating a robotics workforce.
Students in this online Master of Science in Robotics Engineering will learn how to enhance their knowledge in the mechanical and mathematical frameworks that are in demand to design more efficient and safer robotics systems.
Some of the key highlights of this program include:
- Students will master the critical areas of computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, and mathematics that are critical to effective robotics systems.
- Students also will study artificial intelligence, computer vision, nanotechnology and wireless networking.
- All online courses are led by faculty who lead the way to develop new ways for robots to play a vital role in manufacturing, healthcare, emergency response and security.
- The required capstone experience allows the student to apply their developing knowledge in a practical and real world way in your job under the guidance of expert faculty.
- All courses are delivered either live or self paced online, so that you have the chance to fully connect with your peers in this industry, as well as faculty and alumni.
Required courses in this two year, online program are:
- Foundations of Robotics
- Robot Dynamics
- Robot Control
- Concepts of Systems Engineering
- Capstone Project in Robotics Engineering
- Robot Dynamics
- Robot Control
- Advanced Robot Navigation
- Soft Robotics
- Mobile Robotics
The field of robotics engineering is growing at a rapid pace. Professionals with a master’s in this field will take their rightful place at the forefront of this dynamic and exciting field.
- Masters in Computer Engineering + Online Option
- Get a Masters in Engineering + 3 No GRE Options
- Why Get a Masters in Technology Management + Online No GRE!
- Reasons to Earn a Master’s Degree Online
- Why Get a Masters Degree Online?
- 7 Insanely Creative Ways to Pay for Graduate School
- Mechanical Engineers. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm
- Robotics Engineers. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.princetonreview.com/careers/139/robotics-engineer