- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
Technology can be found everywhere in modern education. Public schools across the US have at least one computer for every five learners. In total, schools spend at least $3 billion per year on digital media. With the US government in the lead, the country is striving to make high speed Internet available to all underserved schools in cities and rural areas.
Both the federal and state governments are investing significant resources into educational technology so that every child can get a quality education. Generally the field of educational technology is one that studies the process of designing, analyzing, developing, and implementing the digital instructional environment and learning materials to make better teaching and learning.
The end goal of educational technology is to improve educational results. Teachers in schools around the country need to have a better understanding of the educational technology tools that are available to them and how to use them effectively in the classroom.
Some experienced teachers and educators therefore choose to earn their master’s degree in educational technology. With this advanced degree, you can work in many exciting, progressive education related positions:
- High school teacher: With an educational technology master’s degree, you will be able to more effectively assess how your students are learning in the classroom. Also, technology makes it easier to connect with students who are accustomed to obtaining all of their information through digital means.
- Instructional coordinator: These administrative staff oversee the curriculum of a school and ensure that teaching standards are up to par. An educational technology degree can help you to more easily develop and coordinate how a curriculum is implemented. It also can be used to evaluate how effectively a new curriculum is teaching students. Some instructional coordinators also use technology to conduct innovative and effective training for teachers.
- School and career counselors: These educators assist students in developing the academic and social skills that they need to be more successful in school and after graduation. You may find that it is very useful to have a high level of skill with educational technology in this job as you can use new technological tools to teach students about potential careers.
Why Earn a Master’s in Educational Technology?
The technology and digital revolution has completely changed every aspect of human existence today. How we communicate and how we get information has been altered forever. Smartphones are in use by more than 50% of Americans, and more than 80% use the Internet daily.
Still, the integration of technology into the classroom is not as common. At this time, only about 10% of teachers do a full integration of technology into their classes. The same survey found that 43% of students think that they are not prepared to completely leverage technology in their future career. Jump to all Masters of Education Online Degrees without the GRE.
Earning a master’s degree in educational technology or instructional technology will prepare you for an exciting career as a teacher or as an educational technology specialist. Teachers and other educators who have advanced technology skills will be more in demand as the technology revolution continues.
You should be prepared to meet the following requirements to be admitted into a master’s program in educational technology:
- 75 GPA or higher
- GMAT or GRE scores may be required
- Complete resume
- Official college transcripts
- Writing samples
- You should have extensive coursework and understanding of major Windows software programs including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Calendar.
Curriculum and Courses
Grand Canyon University offers a Master of Science in Instructional Technology that you can complete in two years online. It is designed for the practicing educational professional who wants to become an expert in educational technology. This type of degree program is a good match for the teacher who wants to become a more effective educator with technology, and for an administrative professional in an educational environment who wants to have sharper technical skills. GCU has several programs featured in this big list of Online graduate degree programs.
The educational technology program at this university has been aligned with the high standards of the International Technology in Education Standards.
Courses in this accredited program are taught by professors who are experts in education and in these specific fields:
- Technology based theories and models of instruction
- New media and how to become digitally literate
- How to integrate technology into diverse classrooms
- How to use technology to more accurately assess students
This program features extensive project-based learning models, and it applies concepts in the real world, as it produces master’s degree graduates with the hands on training they need to become technology leaders in education.
Your required classes include:
- Introduction to Graduate Studies in the College of Education
- Brain-Based Learning
- Introduction to Educational Research
- Instructional Theories and Models in Technology Education
- Digital Literacies and New Media
- Ethics, Culture, and Equity with Technology
- Assessment and Instructional Technology
- Multimedia Instructional Strategies and Methods
- Distance Learning
- Leadership and Technology Coaching
- Instructional Technology Capstone
Career Outcomes and Job Titles
Your master’s degree in educational technology will provide you with the skills to work in the following jobs:
- Curriculum designer or developer
- Instructional designer
- Lead teacher
- Learning/Instructional technologist
- Elearning developer
- Multimedia designer
- Online learning specialist
- Technology coordinator
- Technology integration specialist
- Online teacher, mentor or trainer
- Educational software consultant
- Chief Learning Officer
- Computer learning lab coordinator
- Learning applications (apps) designer
- Distance learning director
- Training specialist, coordinator, manager or director
- LMS/LCMS administrator
Job and Salary Outlook
- Instructional Coordinator — The demand in this field of education will increase by 7% by 2024. This is as fast as average when compared to other fields. Experts say that employment growth will occur in schools as teachers and administrators are trying to improve the curriculum and the effectiveness of teachers. Schools may want to hire instructional coordinators with advanced technical skills, as teachers with technology experience can be more effective in evaluating student learning and teacher effectiveness. Median pay is $62,000 per year
- High School Teacher — Employment for all high school teachers will increase by 6% by 2024. However, there is a good chance that more job growth will occur in areas of the country where there is higher population growth. Further, having an advanced technology degree could make you in higher demand for many teaching jobs. Median pay in this field is $57,200 per year.
- School counselor: The demand for jobs for school counselors will increase by 8% by 2024, which is fast as average for all occupations. Areas of the country that have a rising enrollment will need more school counselors. Further, having technology skills on staff can make you a very valuable part of the administration of a school or school district. Median salary is $53,600.
Scholarships and Grants
- Texas Computer Education Association: This technology association has several scholarships awarded every year for teachers and students who are studying educational technology.
- University of San Francisco: For students getting their master’s in educational technology here, you can apply for many scholarships and grants that are offered annually.
- International Society for Technology in Education: For teachers who are passionate about technology in education, we recommend that you join this progressive organization. This is the biggest teacher based association in the entire educational technology field.
- State Educational Technology Directors Association: This is an association of state education agency leaders who support and represent the interests of those who use technology for teaching, learning and school operations.