- Southern New Hampshire University SNHU: Choose from over 200 online graduate programs offered by this non-profit, accredited university. NO GMAT or GRE required! SNHU has a tradition of excellence and a proven success rate – 95 percent of their students are employed upon graduation.
- Johns Hopkins University - Carey School of Business: Online Master of Business Administration.
- George Mason University: Master of Business Administration (MBA) Online.
- Babson College: MBAs and Other Business Programs for Working Professionals .
This article provides an overview of the masters in biomedical diagnosis degree program, some of subjects and courses that the program covers, and why obtaining this degree could be a wise career move. It also presents a high-quality masters in biomedical diagnostics that is available online.
What Is a Masters in Biomedical Diagnostics?
The field of biomedical diagnostics is a subdiscipline of biomedical technology. This means that it uses scientific ideas and technologies in an effort to diagnose different biological and medical ailments, diseases, and conditions. Not many universities offer this specific subdiscipline as a degree yet, which means that the admission criteria for those that do offer the degree tend to be quite stringent. They usually include holding a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, letters of recommendation, professional experience, and a certain GMAT/GRE test score.
During the degree, students learn how to analyze different biomedical technologies and processes through laboratory research projects and medical case studies. As part of the degree, students learn how to repair, calibrate, and operate biomedical equipment. This equipment focuses specifically on diagnosing illnesses.
Furthermore, the degree teaches students how to work as part of multidisciplinary teams in health care facilities, such as physician’s offices, clinics, and hospitals. It is common for the degree to include an internship, during which time students gain real-world experience. Furthermore, a capstone project or thesis is often required. This is an opportunity for students to demonstrate that they are proficient in biomedical diagnostics and its associated processes.
The coursework of the degree focuses on technology development and research. Students spend a lot of time doing laboratory work, and utilizing biomedical equipment that they would use when employed as well. Common core courses included as part of the degree are:
- Product Research and Analysis
- Biomedical Diagnostics Technology Development
- Biomedical Engineering Processes
- Biomedical Informatics
- Health Care and Medical Economics
Why Earn a Masters in Biomedical Diagnostics?
Those who graduate from a masters in biomedical diagnostics degree progeram can choose to go on to earn a doctorate degree in biomedical engineering or a related field. This means that they prepare to become researchers or academia. To complete a doctorate degree, students must complete a dissertation or thesis based on a piece of biomedical diagnostics research.
Alternatively, graduates may want to become licensed as a professional engineer in biomedical diagnostics. This is a voluntary certification that requires passing an extensive state examination. Usually, this includes two separate parts, the first part being completed on graduation and the second part after gaining sufficient work experience.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has reported that biomedical engineers had a median salary of $85,620 per year as of May 2016. However, this is at the bachelor’s degree level. Those with a graduate degree or above are more likely to find themselves in the top 10% of earners, who earn $134,620 per year or more. The BLS has also reported that there will be a 23% increase in demand for these professionals from 2014 to 2024, which is much faster than the national average and will translate into some 5,100 new jobs.
Online Option for Masters in Biomedical Diagnostics
Arizona State University
If you are interested in a masters in biomedical diagnostics, you may want to consider the online Master of Science in Biomedical Diagnostics program offered by the International School of Biomedical Diagnostics at Arizona State University (ASU). The degree program, which is offered online, has been created in partnership with the Dublin City University, as well as a range of other industry partners. Because of these partnerships, the degree has set itself apart as a global leader in biomedical innovation and knowledge. The schools are committed to improving the quality of life and to stimulating economic growth all over the world.
The degree is offered online and covers four specific curricular areas:
- Application of Diagnostics
- Business of Diagnostics
- Science of Diagnostics
- Technology of Diagnostics
As part of the degree, students learn about the influence diagnostics has on technology and pharmaceutical development, health care finance, patient management, and health care policies. Graduates have an in-depth understanding of the technological, legal, business, and regulatory facts of the field of biomedical diagnostics. The program requires 30 credit hours to finish, which are offered over 7.5 week sessions. Students can complete it in one year, while also having to take part in an applied project. During this project, they work directly with industry partners and/or ASU professors to study a topic relating to the field of diagnostics.
Graduates are highly sought-after by biomedical companies the world over for their ability to transform the world of health care. They generally take on positions of management and leadership, as ASU is committed to developing tomorrow’s health care workforce. This is something that the school is highly respected for on the global level. In fact, key achievements for ASU include the fact that:
- The College of Health Solutions had $9 million in research expenditures, 5,813 students, 146 faculty, and 247 Barett Honors scholars in the fall of 2016.
- The school has strong community partnerships that enable students to access significant networking opportunities and resources. These partnerships include those with the Health Care Sector Partnership, Dignity Health, HonorHealth, the Barrow Neurological Institute, and the May Clinic, to name but a few.
- ASU is ranked among the top 10 universities nationwide for employability.
ASU is also home to world-renowned faculty who continue to engage and practice actively within the medical community. These include:
- Cardiovascular disease and diabetes research
- Mayo Clinic leadership
- Big data analysis aiming to improve patient outcomes
- Research in health monitoring technology
- Use of state of the art neuroscience, behavioral, and cognitive techniques to study human communication
- Research that aims to shed light on how policy on community health and food security links to the environment
The core curriculum of the degree takes 13 credit hours to complete and includes:
- Introduction to Biomedical Informatics
- Current Perspectives in Biomedical Diagnostics
- Health Economics, Policy, and Payment Models
- Principles of Diagnostics Technology: Immunology
Those who graduate from ASU’s online master’s degree program can find employment in a range of health care facilities the world over. Some of the most popular career directions they have taken on include:
- Clinical laboratory support and management
- R&D support and management
- Quality systems
- Clinical research support and management
- Business development
- Regulatory affairs
- Account management
- Sales management
Clearly, earning a masters in biomedical diagnostics is a fantastic way to significantly accelerate your career in health care, working on improving the available technology to diagnose people’s illnesses and ailments. The focus is on diagnosing people sooner and quicker, thereby improving their health outcomes as well. It is an opportunity to truly make a meaningful difference in the lives of people all over the world, something to be very proud of.
- Biomedical Engineers. (2015, Dec. 17). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/biomedical-engineers.htm
- Online Master of Science in Biomedical Diagnostics. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/graduate/master-science-biomedical-diagnostics